1. Freeze it only about 2 hours. I froze it overnight and got the problem noted above… the ice brick of fruit. Had I only frozen it 2-3 hours I think the consistency would have been closer to what I was hoping for.
2. Make smaller batches. I wanted a big batch so I could have some on hand, but once you freeze it for more than a few hours you end up with the ice brick. So work in smaller batches, make it the day you want to use it, and enjoy!
NEW AND IMPROVED ICE CREAM….
After making the version noted above, I did some research online and found a better option. This version is all over the internet and even the TV Show “The Chew” created a rendition of this last week. That version includes almond butter, which I don’t eat and didn’t miss at all in my version.
Here are the instructions for making this Creamy Paleo Ice Cream that actually did look and taste like ice cream.
- Cut up 2-4 bananas in slices about 1/4 inch thick. I used 1/2 banana for each person I wanted to serve and it came out ok… except that we didn’t have enough for the seconds everyone wanted. :)
- Lay them in a single layer and freeze them for 1.5-2 hours.
- Put the frozen banana ‘chips’ into the food processor and add 2 packets of stevia per banana, cinnamon and nutmeg to your liking, 1 tbsp of vanilla, and 1/4 cup of cold milk (I use full fat raw milk).
- Whirl it in the food processor for a few minutes until it starts to come together in a creamy texture. If needed add a little more milk to thin it out to your liking.
- Serve in a small dish, topped with fresh berries and homemade whipped cream!